Wild Acres Week
5th – 12th June 2021
We are excited to announce a series of online events coming up in early June. Focusing on biodiversity together we will learn more about the intrinsic value of nature and what actions we can take to help protect our environment.
To celebrate biodiversity we have a whole week of events lined up to explore the importance of biodiversity in Ireland and beyond. In this era of climate change and uncertainty we are asking specialists to discuss their knowledge of biodiversity and their understanding of the interconnectedness between humans and the natural world. We have invited scientists, artists, environmentalists, and other concerned citizens to share their insights and stories.
There is a really exciting line up of workshops, talks, and a youth panel discussion.
All events are FREE & open to adults & children of all ages.
Schedule of Events
Saturday 5th June
10:00–11:00 » Workshop: The Art of Field Notes with ecological artist Ashleigh Downey
More info / Register here: https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/156326355337
12:00–13:00 » Workshop: Wild Bees of Ireland with Janet Laffey (ecology coordinator, GSI)
More info / Register here: https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/156326706387
14:00-15:00 » Workshop: Wild Postcard Project with artists and biodiversity expert
Eileen Diskin & Angela Stevenson
More info / Register here: https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/156570100385
Monday 7th June
18:00–19:00 » Talks: All about Biodiversity
- Janet Laffey, Ecology Coordinator for Green Sod Ireland
- Kate Lavender, Burrenbeo Trust
- Paul Handrick, The Bee Sanctuary of Ireland
- Sean Taylor, Visual Artist, Softday (Song of the Bees)
More info / Register here: https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/156326858843
Wednesday 9th June
18:00–19:00 » Talks: Wild Acres of Ireland
- Mary White, Vice Chairperson of Green Sod Ireland
- Andrew St Ledger, PRO of the Woodland League
- Randal Plunkett, Baron of Dunsany & Founder of the Dunsany Nature Reserve
- Caroline Vaughan, Solicitor and Legal Counsel
More info / Register here: https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/156327011299
Thursday 10th June
18:00-19:30 » Citizen Science Youth Panel Discussion
- Eimear Stephenson (Ireland), Grassland Ecology : Researcher with Green Sod Ireland
- Lydia Rysavy (Sweden), Climate Policy: Activism and Outreach
- Lucy Skelton (Australia), Youth Empowerment: Climate Policy & Student Voice Network
- Rachel Dowling (Ireland), Woodland Ecology: Citizen Science and Data Collection
- Laura Masivoreva (Zimbabwe), Climate and Conservation: Education & Online Articles
- Summer Snell (England), Climate and Ocean Conservation: Education (The Helpful Whale)
More info / Register here: https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/156327137677
Friday 11th June
18:00–19:00 » Talks: What Does a Healthy Environment Look Like?
- Amanda McKnight, non-formal external facilitator with Green Sod Ireland
- Maria Long, Grassland Ecologist, National Parks and Wildlife Service
- Dr. Karen Bacon, Lecturer in Botany & Plant Science, NUI Galway
- Ida Mitrani, Visual Artist
More info / Register here: https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/156327241989
Saturday 12th June
10:00–11:00 » Workshop: Drawn to Nature with ecological artist Ashleigh Downey
More info / Register here: https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/156327647201
12:00–13:00 » Workshop: A Meeting with Meadowsweet with Nicola Winters
More info / Register here: https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/156327801663
There’s still time to stop one million of the planet’s
plants and animals from vanishing forever.
Join us for Wild Acres Week
Together let’s protect and preserve our natural biodiversity.
Wild Acres Week is a project collaboration between Ashleigh Downey, Green Sod Ireland’s Environmental Arts Coordinator and Michelle Tighe, Green Sod Ireland Volunteer. This community focused initiative is kindly supported by Rethink Ireland.