One by Shawnee Kellie
January is the month of new beginnings; a time for resolutions and fresh starts. Known as the month for resolutions and recaps, each new year invites us to start again with retrospection. It is a time where we can ask ourselves questions, such as:
- What do we want to achieve this year?
- Are we happy living as we do?
- How can we become more connected, particularly in this time of lockdown?
- How can we reach out to family, friends, and the wider community?
- How can we bring more diversity into our lives?
- How can we nurture biodiversity? & why is it important for us to do so?
- How can we build a deep connection with nature; one that lifts our spirits and nourishes our soul?
- Is there a new, more sustainable path we could take in life?
- What might this look like?
At this time of new beginnings we would like to share with you a poem, by Shawnee Kellie. This thought-provoking piece, called ‘One’ is exquisite in its simplicity. A message that reminds us that we all have the power to make a difference; big or small. That one action can create a powerful and positive ripple effect. It is not only a large group that can make a change. It can be one idea, one thought, one human. One positive action can help make the world a brighter place.
One word can spark a moment,
One flower can wake the dream;
One tree can start a forest,
One bird can herald Spring.
One smile can bring a friendship,
One handclasp can lift a soul;
One star can guide a ship at sea,
One cheer can obtain a goal.
One vote can change a Nation,
One sunbeam can lift a room;
One candle wipes out darkness,
One laugh will conquer gloom.
One look can change two lives;
One kiss can make love bloom.
One step must start each journey,
One word must start each prayer;
One hope can raise our spirits,
One touch can show you care.
One voice can speak with wisdom,
One heart can know what’s true;
One life can make a difference,
One life is me and you….
Shawnee Kellie is the author of poems of inspiration. She writes beautiful poignant words, that at times commentaries about the simple things in our everyday lives. The widow of a Vietnam Veteran; Shawnee works as much as she can for and with Veterans.
Photo Credit: All photos from Pexels
In order of appearance: Ben Mack (feature photo), Josh Hild, Ave Calvar Martinez, Rafael Paul, Skylar Kang, and Karolina Grabowska